Can You Live the Zero Waste Lifestyle?
Updated: Aug 16, 2019
The U.S. is a top contributor to the global trash problem with the average American generating 4.4 pounds of garbage each day! This garbage finds its way to landfills, beaches, and oceans. Is zero waste the solution to this growing problem or better yet, what does zero waste mean?
Zero Waste is the idea that all resources are used by means of responsible production, consumption, reuse, and recovery of all products, packaging, and materials, without disposing of them in ways that threaten the environment or our health.
Ready to commit to the zero waste lifestyle? The first step to success is to determine your why. Maybe you want to make this change to help our environment or maybe it is to live a simpler life. Whatever your why is, remember to use it as your motivation to stay on track. Take things slow in the beginning and use these simple tips to get started on your journey.
1. Swap plastic packaging for items made of glass or stainless steel. These types of items are great for storage, drinking glasses, and are reusable.
2. Instead of using paper products such as paper towels and napkins, switch to cloth versions. This saves money over time and reduces waste.
3. Ditch the plastic shopping bags. Cloth, mesh, canvas, or reusable bags made from recycled materials make great alternatives.
4. Make things yourself. There are unlimited resources online for making your own makeup remover pads, baby wipes, and more.
5. Start Composting. Simply invest in a compost bin for your food scraps and watch the magic happen. Your spring garden will thank you.
6. Recycle everything you can. Unbroken glass, aluminum cans, paper, cardboard, tin, and some plastics can all be recycled.
7. Ditch the disposable plates and utensils for BPA free items that can be reused.
8. Find a community of like-minded individuals or challenge your friends to adopt a zero waste lifestyle with you. Chances are, if you have the support of others then you are more likely to stay committed.
We wish you the best on your new journey!